Monday, December 31, 2012

Charlie Leduc's, guitarist of Deformatory and Placentophagia, top ten albums of 2012



This is Charlie Leduc's, the guitarist of Deformatory and Placentophagia top ten albums of 2012. Both of the bands he is in are great death metal groups! You can see my interview with him and fellow Placentophagia member, Jay, here as well as their debut album's track-by-track commentary here. Like Deformatory and Placentophagia Facebook pages, check out their respective website here and here, and buy their respective merch here and here.






Music is such a massive part of my life, and has been for as long as I can remember. From listening to AC/DC in the womb with my young, spaced-out parents, to spinning my first Black Sabbath vinyl at the tender age of 10, I can firmly say that metal is my one true love.

Every single year there are albums that blow me away; whether they are from bands I am anxiously awaiting a release from (and no, Necrophagist, hoop your face) or whether it’s from some new kid on the block that knocks me out.

This year was no exception. Here are just a few of my favorite albums (and by favorite, I mean the ones that get the most amount of play). Consider these my bottom-bitch albums of 2012.


10. Putrid Pile - Blood Fetish
Ahhhh my favorite one-man-band who looks like a perfect combination of Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys, and Peter Griffin from the Family Guy! Seriously, check him out! Having said that, this sick son of a bitch puts out some of the very best brutal death metal out there. This record has some of the sickest riffs in that genre and the entire album is just one unrelenting masterful monstrosity. I love it to death, and suggest you give it a shot.



Dehumanized put out their much anticipated release after a looooong motherfuckin' time, and it truly is a heavy masterpiece. This is Suffocation on steroids and it delivers solid track after solid track. Catchy riffs, brutal vocals and one hell of a wicked production (with drums that sound like drums). Grab this, play it, then play it again. It's wicked!



This album got me so excited. I pre-ordered it like a fangirl and waited patiently for 2 months to get it. I popped it in; sat back, and allowed my mind to be violently raped. Almost a year later, and I still can't completely wrap my head around this album. It's too damn good. I love it, but only in small doses. That's what I love about SoP: you don't need a whole lot, to feel like you've been sufficiently stuffed. Incredible musicianship.



Arkaik's new album did not impress me at first - at all. I was expecting a new "Reflections Within Dissonance", and well, it's just not that! It's not a million mile per hour, relentless skull-fuck of an album. In fact, it's actually a really well-balanced, brutal tech death album, that showcases the bands maturity (and experience on stage). The only downfall to this record is the lack of guitar solos. Still, this album regularly gets blasted in my car stereo.



Barra Xul is the new project from Cephalectomy's mastermind Corey Andrews. It's Nova Scotian melodic horrorgrind, with that touch of Northern mystigrind we all loved in Cephalectomy. The tracks are killer, and they really push the limits here. All of the songs are about horror movies - which I personally love - and it's such a refreshing, sinister treat from all of the generic hogwash coming out. Pick it up, if you got the dice!

5. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
This is one amazing, out of the box album right here. I mean, there's so much going on, it's ridiculous. Travis Ryan's vocals, at first, really put me off. Then, I saw how he did it, and man, do I ever have a lot of respect for him. From start to finish, this album gets your grindy attention and keeps it.


Cryptopsy is easily one of my favorite bands; one who has influenced me in so many ways. After their lasted atrocity, I was apprehensive to pick this one up. The cover art didn't really help (yeah, I judge a book by its cover all of the time...deal with it). BUT - cuntfucker, this album is amazing. There are some tracks on this that just get me so fuckin' pumped, it's incredible. The only thing I don't really like is the production. It's too "Chris Donaldson-ny"; over-produced and I find that the overall album kind of gets lost. Regardless, I'm glad these guys are back on top, and let's hope The Unspoken King never gets spoken of again.



Abnormality's album is incredible. It's one heavy cunt. I love the song structures, and the uncompromising brutality they unleash, without it sounding like a pile of garbled fecal mush. Mallika is one of my favorite vocalists, and she delivers an incredible performance on this album. I wish this troop the very best, and hope they find the success they deserve.


I've been a Gorod fan for quite some time, and was really looking forward to this release. They deliver a unique, fresh, and innovative approach to tech death. These musicians are phenomenal and they really put together an amazing record. There's almost nothing wrong with it, in my opinion, save a few clean vocals (and yes, I'm THAT guy...) 

1. Cytotoxin - Radiophobia
I love the fact that my favorite album this year comes from a band that is new to me. Cytotoxin have been around for a while, but I never ever paid attention to them. I stumbled upon their upcoming release through the infinite void of YouTube. I was immediately impressed by the studio footage, and really, really dug the Chernobyl theme. I grabbed their album as soon as it came out, and well, motherfuck, it's amazing! It has everything I personally love in death metal. It's catchy, brutal, fast, and groovy. The production on this album blows it out of the water. All in all, this album gets the most amount of play in my car, and with good reason. It's a killer record.


Well, there you have it. Just a few of my favorite albums of this past year. I find it incredibly hard to box in, or limit myself to just ten, but...being the good little Christian that I am, I will conform to the laws of the Wheeling Rampage Land that rule with an iron spoke.

Seriously though, there have been some absolutely incredible releases this year – some of which did not make this list (and please, please, fuckin’ please don’t tell me The Faceless’ album is one of them. It’s not. It’s a disgrace.)

Let’s hope that 2013 is the year that shreds our faces into complete oblivion with metal releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment